Wednesday 22 August 2012

10 day challenge - 4 books

This was really hard for me as I love books, and being forced to just pick four is hard! After a lot of thought here they are!
1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. My absolute favourite book. I studied this for A’Level and despite reading it and discussing it to death it didn’t put me off. The book follows Jane from her childhood, and education to her time at Thornfield Hall with Mr Rochester. There is something about Jane that appeals to me. She has had a tough upbringing and has suffered, but is never portrayed as a damsel in distress. She knows her own mind, and what she wants out of life. I have read this book so many times my copy is falling apart.

2. Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson. This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I became so gripped by it that I couldn’t put it down. Early nights became late nights as I read ‘just another page’. It is a thriller about a woman suffering from amnesia who wakes every day with no knowledge of who she is. The novel follows her as she tries to reconstruct her memories from a journal she has been keeping. Surprises came thick and fast with this book, with me having no idea how it would end. Kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. Every girl secretly wants a Mr Darcy. And I think that is what has made Pride and Prejudice one of the most popular novels in English literature. It follows the Bennet sisters as they look for husbands. I really admire Elizabeth, who is independent and strong enough to refuse Mr Collins hand in marriage, going against her mothers wishes. My favourite quote from Mr Darcy to Elizabeth: “My real purpose was to see you, and to judge, if I could, whether I might ever hope to make you love me.”
4. Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. A heartwarming tale of how a little boy mends an old mans heart, and how an old man teaches a little boy to trust again. William is evacuated to the country during the war and is taken in by Mister Tom. They are both delicate, Mister Tom is heartbroken after losing his wife and baby son 40 years ago, and William was badly abused by his mother. They both help each other to laugh again, and I cried at the end when William calls Mister Tom Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment