Sunday 10 March 2013

Yes you heard right - I am running the 2014 Bath Half Marathon!

So.....in a moment of madness I have pledged to run the Bath Half Marathon next year! Now I have one year to kick my butt into shape. I need to go from complete novice who just about runs to her car when it is raining to stop her hair from going frizzy to someone who can run 13.1 miles around the streets of Bath. I accept this (daunting) challenge, and for the amusement of all of you I will be blogging about my progress!

If you would have told my teenage self that one day I would be doing a half marathon I would have laughed hysterically and thrown my barely used trainer at you. I was the girl who faked notes from my mum to get me out of PE, and when I was rumbled and forced to participate I would mess around and chat with my friends. The worst day of the school year for me was the dreaded cross country day, when we were made to run around the school field - a pointless activity in my opinion! If my PE teacher Mrs Fox could see me now, embarking on a training regime for a half marathon she would laugh. That or be stunned into silence! The reaction I expect that a lot of you are having!

So, I expect that many of you are wondering why I have suddenly decided to do this. Have I gone mad? Going through a mid life crisis early? Or fallen and hit my head, waking up believing I am the female Usain Bolt? Well, it is none of them. The truth is that for a while I have wanted a challenge. And what could be a bigger challenge for me than this? Also, I was so inspired after the Bath Chronicle Pride in Bath awards. I met some amazing people there, who do so many good things, and it made me want to do something! I have also admired people who run a half marathon, but thought I would never be able to do it. But I have been writing about people doing the race for four years now, and people in all shapes and sizes do it! I think that with (a lot of) training I can do it! And I am looking forward to the achievement of crossing that finishing line!

One great thing about doing the Bath Half is that my brother Jon is running it with me. He has done it before, and is also planning to do the Bristol Half this year. I know that running with him will keep me going when I want to give up, and he has promised to help me train. Another thing that will keep me going is the fact that we have decided to raise money for The Stroke Association in memory of our granny. She had a series of strokes, and it was horrible to see. She was reduced to not being able to do anything for her self, which was awful to watch. When she died I vowed I would raise money for The Stroke Association in her memory. So if by struggling around the 13.1 miles I raise lots of money to help others in that position then the pain will be worthwhile!

Over the next year I have devised a plan to help me kick the half marathons butt:
* Join a running club
* Keep on at the gym 3 times a week, incorporating the treadmill
* Go on runs in the evening gradually building up the distance, with a longer run at weekends.
* Do the Race for Life and Clevedon Boxing Day Run to get experience

So wish me luck!!












No comments:

Post a Comment