Wednesday 20 March 2013

Bath Half training - gym and first proper run!

Training for the half marathon has begun, and so far so good! I am a pretty determined person, and when I say I am going to do something I will give it 100%. Even though the thought of running 13.1 miles (don’t forget the .1!) terrifies me I am determined to finish it in one piece. I don’t want to not put my all into training, and then look like an idiot on the day and not be able to complete it.

The first step of my training was a session with one of the trainers at the gym I go to. Dave was the person who did my induction when I first took the big leap of joining the gym and he is a really nice guy! Not scary and shouty as was my idea of what a personal trainer was like (see blog on joining the gym) He told me that I would be fine, and that a whole year to train was plenty of time. He then proceeded to show me how to work the treadmill properly, as the only other time that I have used one I managed to fall off the back! The plan for me is to incorporate some treadmill running, with longer outdoor runs, and cardio work at the gym, including cycling and the cross trainer. I also have to continue with the weights for my upper body, as it will give me strength when I use my arms to propel myself forward. I felt good after a 15 minute run, 10 minutes on the cross trainer and weights (thought I promptly undid all my hard work by having a Chinese and a few glasses of white wine that evening!)

The following Sunday was the day. The big day when I would head out on my first proper run since school. I admit I was excited, but also slightly worried. Would my legs still work? Is it possible to forget how to run?! And the most important fear - would I fall over and injure myself?! Well, I am pleased to report that it went really well! Joe came with me for moral support, and we ran down to the sea and back again. I was so proud of myself for running all the way there and back (with a little rest when we got there). I find it so much easier running with someone, as there were times when I wanted to walk, but Joe encouraged me to carry on. He told me to work through it, and that I may feel like walking at this point but it would get easier. And do you know what? He was right! (Don’t tell him I said that!) We thought we had run about 2 miles, but when we got home Joe looked on the map and we had done 3 miles! So a good start for a novice runner! My muscles have been aching badly though, and it was painful! Though I have been assured that this is not because I am unfit, but because I am not used to it (and also because I didn’t stretch properly before and after.)

The last thing to tell you is that I have my training plan, put together by Dave. He said he couldn’t give me a plan for the half marathon yet, as it is still a year away. So he has written me a 10k plan, as he said I need to work towards that and then build up. It doesn’t look that scary, and is a help as I like having a plan to follow. That way I know I am doing it right! Also by ticking off the days as I do them I am encouraged to keep at it, as I feel guilty if I have missed a day!

Also I have signed up to do the race for Life 10k in Bristol on July 6. It will be good practice for me! So....let the training begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment