Tuesday 31 January 2012

D is for dinosaur!

The letter D on my challenge stands for dinosaur, though maybe I should rename it D for disaster? This is the first challenge not to have gone completely to plan (though I am only four letters in, so expect there to be a lot more mishaps!)
I decided that it would be fun to challenge Joe to a dinosaur making competition as dinosaurs are cool! My first thought was to make it out of cardboard and toilet rolls, in a kind of Blue Peter ‘here’s one I made earlier’ style. However while browsing the aisles of the Early Learning store while buying presents for small people, I stumbled upon brightly coloured tubs of playdough. Memories of creating masterpieces from the stuff at a young age came flooding back, and so I decided that would be the ideal material for my dinosaur. That was my first mistake.....my second mistake was deciding to make my own playdough.

Roping in mum I got to work, chucking flour and salt into a bowl and throwing in water. Add two splashes of food colouring (one red and one to blue to make purple) I was faced with a sticky pink mess. Not to be deterred I added a bit more flour and threw the lot in the fridge, keeping my fingers crossed that poor unsuspecting Mr T wouldn’t think it was some kind of new food and eat it all.

Fast forward a few days and my pink mess and I were on route to Joe’s to create our masterpieces. Joe took one look at my playdough, and described it as looking like ‘something that a creature from Star Trek threw up’. Charming! He then spread newspaper all over the coffee table and threatened me with death if I got any of it on his sofa!

Here was where the plan went even further downhill, as the playdough was too sticky, and ended up stuck to our hands and the newspaper. We did manage to create dinosaurs in the end, with Joe having slightly more success than me! To say that I am not artistic is an under statement! After taking a picture the mess was quickly bundled up in the newspaper and thrown away!

This challenge has shown me that a career in the playdough making industry is not for me! Oh well, on to E.

No comments:

Post a Comment