Sunday 15 January 2012

B is for bingo!

Scenario number two of my 26 part challenge saw me mingling with the pensioners at a Gala bingo night in Gloucester. Faye and Bex were happy to accompany me, full of hope of hitting it big and becoming rich ladies of leisure. Having mentally spent our winnings we filled out a form, and were made members of the bingo club (we got given a membership card and everything!)

Walking into the hall we already stood out, as we didn’t have a blue rinse and were under the age of 70. Not to be put off we grabbed a seat, and stared blankly at the booklet we were given. Now, I will admit we were confused as to what we had to do! All I knew about bingo was that I had to mark off the numbers as they were called out. I had no idea how many we had to get, and in what order they had to be to win a prize. Cue me asking a nice man called Rob to help us. He started by explaining to me, but quickly realised I was a lost cause, and so decided to teach Faye instead. Even after his explanation we were still none the wiser!

With a few minutes to go until the main event I headed to the bar to get some drinks, and on my return was faced with the angry serial bingo player. Unknowingly I had committed the cardinal sin in a bingo hall. Stolen someone’s seat. Of course I should have realised it was the seat she sat on every night – as she had left her felt tip pen there! I had to sit opposite her in the end, and once the game started she proved very useful – telling us what the rules were.

Sadly an hour and a half later we were finished and had not won a thing. There was one moment where Faye thought she had, but this was before we were sure of the rules and knew what constituted a win. However we all agreed that it had been a good night. You get a sense of excitement crossing off the numbers, keeping your fingers crossed that the number you want will be called. We even got to keep the dabbers! (Bingo lingo for red felt tip pen!) I wouldn’t go as far as going every week as a lot of the regulars did, but I would certainly go back again. Next time I may just walk away with some money!

The challenge continues – stay tuned for C.  

No comments:

Post a Comment