Tuesday 19 February 2013

Top 100 books challenge: 4. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

If you ever wondered I can now finally tell you - the answer is 42. Ok, it may not actually answer anything at all, but it does let you know that I have finally read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - and I thought it was great!

I have been meaning to read this book for years, and now that I am working my way through the challenge I have. And I really wonder what took me so long to pick it up, as I really enjoyed it! The mere through of Ford Prefect hitching lifts on space ships and visiting planets to compile the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy really appealed to me. Arthur Dent is the ‘alien’ from planet Earth who gets dragged along on the adventure after Earth is destroyed and he is saved by Ford. And the manically depressed robot Marvin is a stroke of genius - well he is a Paranoid Android! This book made me laugh, in particular when depressed Marvin links up to a spaceship to talk to it - and leads to it committing suicide. Very handy when the two men from the spaceship are trying to kill Ford and the others.

The Heart Of Gold is a ship that I would really like to travel on, in fact the book made me want my own ship, so that I could explore the galaxy and find new planets. It shouldn’t be that hard to control as the computer system, which is annoying cheery but effective, does all the hard work. Well, until they are under attack from a hostile planet when Arthur saves they day.

The book is full of adventure and humour and makes you think differently about the Universe. It offers a different look on the planet Earth, for example how it is run by mice who are experimenting on the humans. Definitely worth a read for kids and big kids!

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment