Saturday 16 February 2013

Top 100 books challenge: 84. Gormenghast

To start with I was pretty daunted by this book, I mean it is 953 pages and very thick! It could be used as a weapon against someone, and carrying it around all day in my bag did not do my shoulder any good! 
It is in three parts: Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone. I think for the challenge I only had to read Gormenghast, but I am glad I read all three as it gave me a better understanding of the characters, and I was able to follow the story better.

Gormenghast is a fantasy, set in the castle of Gormenghast, home to the Groan family. In Titus Groan we are introduced to the family, Lord Sepulchrave: the 76th Earl of Gormenghast, his wife the Countess Gertrude, their daughter Fusha and a host of servants. Titus's birth signifies the next in line, the heir to Gormenghast. Book two follows him growing up, and seeing changes in the castle, while in book three he rebels against his position and leaves the castle.

Throughout the books there are a whole host of interesting characters. In particular the ambitious Steerpike, who starts off as a kitchen boy but worms his way into the hierarchy of Gormenghast for his own personal gain. He is highly ruthless, and will do whatever it takes to advance his position, even killing. We also see Doctor Prunesquallor, nicknamed Dr Prune, who plays an important part in defeating Steepike.

A major theme throughout the book is freedom, with the inhabitants of Gormenghast feeling they are trapped. Titus, who we see as a baby through to a young man, is to become the next Earl, and cannot escape his duty. Steerpike wants to escape his dreary life as a kitchen boy and become a more important part of the castle, Fusha, who dreams of escaping the castle and running free to be who she wants, and Irma Prunesquallor, sister of Dr Prune, who wants to find a husband and be free of her brothers house.

I really enjoyed the first two books, but I felt a bit let down by the third. This may have been due to the fact that Titus Alone was printed from a typescript prepared from Mervyn Peake's note books. It was not complete and so was finished by another author. I felt the story was lacking something, and struggled to finish it. However the first two books were great, and I could picture the intimidating set up of Gormenghast castle.

Rating: 6/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment