Tuesday 10 April 2012

I is for Ice skating!



Sharp blades, ice and me. Not things that go together unless you want a trip to the local A&E department. However to my delight (and shock) I returned from the ice rink with no broken bones and only a cut on my leg to show for it!

Inspired by the energetic and upbeat routines on Dancing On Ice I jumped at the chance to copy some of the moves. Ice skating has grown in popularity since the start of the ITV show, with hundreds of fans hoping to follow in the footsteps of legends Torvill and Dean. I have spent many hours watching the show, imagining myself as the dancer (wearing one of the many pretty, sparkly costumes!) So along with my Christopher Dean (long suffering Joe) I headed off to Swindon Ice Rink.

Stepping out onto the rink I looked more like Bambi in that classic ice scene than Jane Torvill. Not to be put off I decided to go as fast as I could, and not worry about what might happen. I tend to be the person who does things before thinking, which has often led me to mishaps. In this case it led me to fall straight on my bum a number of times. Skating I was doing well, but stopping was another matter! Joe adopted a different tactic, slowly skating round and not falling over.

After a while I got bored of skating around in circles and suggested to Joe that we recreate some of the famous moves from the show, including the headbanger. A look of fear passed across his face before he made it clear that we would not be doing that. I was quite disappointed! I mean how hard can it be?! On second thoughts......

No comments:

Post a Comment