Wednesday 29 May 2013

Top 100 books challenge: 41. Anne Of Green Gables

Many people were quite surprised when I said that I hadn't read Anne of Green Gables. Especially as it was also a popular television series. Like many other books it had been on my ‘to read’ list for a long time, and I am pleased that I finally got round to reading it.

Like most people I am sure I fell in love with the orphaned Anne (spelt with an ‘e’ don’t ever forget!) The way she sees joy and beauty in everything around her was so lovely, and her vivid imagination and talkativeness meant that I could really picture Green Gables.  Anne takes much joy in life and adapts quickly, thriving in the close-knit farming village and her adopted family of siblings Matthew and Marilla. Her talkativeness initially drives the prim,  Marilla to distraction, although Matthew falls for her charm immediately. Anne says that they are 'kindred spirits'.

I loved the way Anne looked for kindred spirits everywhere, and her silly mistakes also made me giggle. In particular when she serves her friend wine, thinking it is raspberry drink, and ends up getting her drunk. Anne gets into many scrapes, but this brings life and laughter to Green Gables, and soon Matthew and Marilla can’t imagine life without her.

Anne of Green Gables reminded me of my childhood, when I could make dens, and play games with friends using my overactive imagination. I also got into many scrapes, much to the despair of my mum, which is why I love Anne so much.

I really enjoyed living Anne’s life with her. Throughout the book you go on a roller coaster ride, and experience the ups and downs with Anne. When I go to the end I felt sad that it was over, until I realised that there are more books in the series.

I also really liked Gilbert Blythe! Especially when he gave up the school so Anne could have it and stay home to look after Marilla. Poor Gilbert, Anne held one massive grudge against him, for the carrot comment! When writing this blog I googled Gilbert Blythe, and found this list of why no man will ever live up to him. Have a look and see if you agree.

Rating 9.5/10


*12 Reasons No Man Will Ever Live Up To Gilbert Blythe*
1. He is cocky and confident. It annoys Anne at the beginning, especially when he teasingly calls her “Carrots.”
2. He’s persistent. Throughout the entire first book, he continuously shows his regard for Anne, even as she coldly rebuffs him.
3. He’s heroic. He rescues Anne from a pond.
4. He’s not only very smart, but he also respects Anne’s intelligence. The two compete for scholarships, good-naturedly, on his part.
5. He’s selfless. When Anne’s father-figure, Matthew, dies, Gilbert gives up his teaching position in Avonlea so that Anne can work close to home.
6. He’s patient, even when, during college, Anne is refusing to recognise the fact that she is in love with him.
7. He is ardent. When Anne refuses his proposal, he says: “Your friendship can’t satisfy me, Anne. I want your love.
8. He is hard-working. After Anne rejects him, instead of throwing himself into a rebound relationship  he instead concentrates on work and wins a scholarship to attend medical school.
9. He is a good communicator. Anne and Gilbert spend a few years apart after getting engaged, and he writes her long letters.
10. He grows up to be an excellent doctor and everyone in the community admires and respects him
11. He is an amazing father, kind and patient and attentive to all of his children.
12. He is affectionate throughout his entire marriage to Anne, calling her “Anne-girl” and buying her flowers.

(Slight spoiler alerts

for the other books - but I am excited to read them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment