Friday 4 January 2013

My gym journey so far

Most people make New Years resolutions to keep fit and join a gym. And every year I laugh at those poor souls slogging away on rowing machines and struggling to lift heavy weights. However not this year. This year I am one of them! I am right there, red faced and sweating as for the first time in my life I have joined a gym. Honestly, stop laughing, it’s true. I have the aches and pains, and the shiny green members card in my purse to prove it!

However, unlike most people this was not a New Years resolution. I did not stand there at midnight on New Years eve and vow to get my butt to a gym straight away. No, I started in November, and so had a good month to get used to the quiet empty gym before January 2nd, when it was invaded by millions of new members (note: I may have exaggerated slightly!)

Joining a gym is not something I have ever wanted to do, or ever thought I would. But sadly, at the age of 27, I have come to realise that I need to put some work in to stay a size I am happy with. The thought of running outside in the cold horrified me. Actually, the thought of running at all horrified me. Cycling is not really my thing, as it requires more balance that I have - my current level being none! So I thought I would brave the gym, and signed up with Joe.

The first thing that concerned me slightly was the five personal training sessions you get. I had an image in my mind of a mean, muscly instructor shouting at me and making me do press ups! GET DOWNA AND GIVE ME 10 YOU HORRIBLE LITTLE GIRL!! But the reality could not have been further from the truth. Yes my instructor was pretty big and strong, but no, he didn’t shout. I did however spend much of the first session apologising. Sorry for my lack of muscles when he asked me to tense so he could measure them, sorry for my weakness when he had to drop the level of weights down for me, sorry for spilling my water on him when drinking from my leaky bottle…etc…etc.
40 minutes after the first session I left with aching muscles and a workout plan – that included the rower, bike, cross trainer and weights.
So fast forward two months and I have turned into a person I never thought I would be. I don’t yet have abs like Jessica Ennis, or a flat, toned tummy, but I do have a new found confidence that I can lift weights cope with a gym. I have seen benefits too – in particular a new level of fitness. The only problem that I can see is my ‘blonde’ moments, which have seen me drop a weight on the foot of the person next to me, fall off the exercise bike when I accidently made the seat loose instead of tighter, and walk into the door while looking at a good looking guy on the treadmill. But hey, no amount of improving my fitness will sort out my blonde moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment