Thursday 1 November 2012

Top five musicals

Inspired by a friends blog I have decided to create a top five list of my favourite musicals. This task is easier said than done, as there are just so many to chose from! I have loved musicals for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I wish life was like a musical. Imagine having a dilemma in your life and suddenly breaking into song about it. Complete with a chorus of people behind you dancing! It would probably get annoying after a while (especially for everyone near me, as I can not sing at all) but for a month or so I would love it!

#1 This was hard, as there were a few musicals I could have put in the prized top spot. It was such a difficult task picking that I made lists with all the things I like about each one. In the end The Lion King came out on top. This combines two of the things I love the most - musicals and Disney! I saw this in London, and was speechless (which for people who know me will know is extremely rare!) The costumes were amazing! And I was singing along to the songs :)
Favourite song - Hakuna Matata

#2 The second spot goes to Wicked, which was a serious contender for number 1. I went to see this in London the week after it came out. I didn’t really know what to expect and went along with an open mind. I thought it would be enjoyable, but was pretty sure it wouldn’t go down as one of my favourite musicals. How wrong I was - it was fantastic! I can’t watch the Wizard of Oz in the same way now, and I love how the musical follows the story of Elphaba, the ‘wicked’ witch. Wicked was written by Gregory Maguire, and after the show I went out and got the book. It is so cleverly written, and he has other stories that are takes on classic tales - like Cinderella told by the ugly stepsisters, and Snow White told by the Queen.
Favourite song - Defying Gravity.

#3 Phantom of the Opera comes in as number 3. I have loved this musical for years, but until this year had never seen it on the stage. I had read the book, and watched the film though. I went to see it in Bristol in April, and it exceeded all expectations. The scene where the chandelier crashes down was amazing, and complete with the dramatic music sent a chill through my spine. But what really blew me away was the set! Before I went I was wondering how they would show the phantoms lair, under the opera house. The result? A fabulous set that moved apart, revolved, and had hidden trapdoors and nooks! And using dramatic smoke screens they managed to make it look like he had disappeared!
Favourite song - The Phantom of the Opera.

#4 Position number four goes to Cats. I loved the Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot as a teenager, and so was keen to see Cats. I saw it in Bristol, and thought it was amazing! The costumes were really impressive, and the songs are so catchy! I love how each of the cats have their own personalities too. After seeing the show I rushed out to get the cd!
Favourite song - Mr. Mistoffelees

#5 Last but not least is Blood Brothers. This was one of the musicals I studied for my disertation, and I developed a bit of an obsession with it. I found the whole thing fascinating, with the twin boys being bought up in very different families. One rich and one poor. It offers the question is it nature that makes us who we are, or nurture? Blood Brothers makes me cry, but it also makes me think. I loved the stage show which i have seen twice, both in Bristol.
Favourite song - Marilyn Monroe.

What do you think? What musicals are in your top 5?

No comments:

Post a Comment