Wednesday 27 June 2012

N is for Nerds!

No I don’t mean nerds as in people with thick glasses, who sit in dark rooms staring at computer screens for hours on end. I mean the much more tempting and sweeter nerds. The retro sweets that I used to love as a kid! Walking past an old fashioned sweet shop in Bath I did a double take when I spotted the tasty treats on display in the window. And as luck would have it, I had reached N on the list. So it was fate! I had to buy them!



The sweets always take me back to my childhood. When I was younger my mum worked in Safeway (before the name change to Morrisons) on Saturdays leaving my lovely, but crazy dad in charge of three kids. His weekly task was taking us to the shops to choose some sweets, as this was our treat on a Saturday. These trips always followed the same pattern: I would go straight up to the nerds, and always had the same sweets every time. My brother Jonathan, who is four years younger than me, would copy what I picked. So he ended up with the nerds too. Then came the long wait for my sister Jodie to pick. Jodie is very indecisive, and finds it hard to make a decision. Her Saturday mornings involved her walking round and round the sweet aisle, carefully considering her options, until egged on by a bored me she finally picked!

I am pleased to report that the nerds tasted as good as I remembered. I was especially excited to get the rainbow box, which a number of flavours all mixed in together! Now the hard thing is staying away from the sweet shop, so I don’t end up spending all my wages on the sweet treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment