Wednesday 9 March 2011

Bye bye chocolate

I am always up for a challenge, and have done all sorts of crazy stunts like cage diving to see sharks, and a parachute jump. In comparison my latest challenge may seem easy. However, I think it will be one of the hardest things I have had to do. I, a self confessed chocoholic, have given the sweet treat up for lent.

For 40 long days I will not be allowed a single bite of chocolate. This means no more malteaser bunnies which are my latest obsession. It also means no more hot chocolate in the evenings, and I can wave goodbye to the chocolate cereal bars that help me start the day. It will be hard. I am sure I will start to get withdrawal symptoms, and have the shakes through the lack of chocolaty goodness. But I determined to do it. Mainly to prove people wrong, the people who laughed when I told them what I was doing.

Lent is a Christian tradition seen as a time of sacrifice. People give up a treat for 40 days to show respect for Jesus and to identify with his self deprivation during his 40 days in the wilderness. However many other people give something up to challenge themselves.

I have chosen to give up chocolate to mark lent, and to show that I can make sacrifices. Of course, this will mean changes to my daily routine. The chocolate and nut cereal bars I usually start my day with have been replaced with berry and yoghurt. I thought this would be a hardship, but actually they are quite tasty! In our office we have a lady who comes round with sandwiches, and snacks like crisps and chocolate. It was a struggle to stay sitting in my seat, and not lunge at her with my money. Instead, I had an orange. Didn’t really compare to a galaxy bar, but it’s healthier! My evening cup of hot chocolate will also have to go, to be replaced by either tea or squash. But in the words of Gloria Gaynor I will survive!

By the end of the 40 days I shall hopefully feel healthier, and stronger for sticking to my challenge. And there will be the added bonus of it being Easter. Those chocolate eggs will never have tasted better!

No comments:

Post a Comment