Wednesday 16 February 2011

Hypnotherapy.....does it work?

Hypnotherapy conjures up images of men asking you to look into their eyes before convincing you to bark like a dog in front of a laughing audience.
To dispel the myth, and get help for exam nerves I visited Victoria Proctor at the Peace of Mind clinic on Upper Borough Walls.

On entering the light office I was immediately put at ease by the relaxed setting, and clam manner of Victoria.
I knew that I was in good hands as Victoria is one of the first hypnotherapists in the country to be registered by the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC), the UK regulator for complementary healthcare.
Victoria, aged 27 from Highlittleton, has been treating people in Bath for three years, with problems including anxiety, depression, and weight issues.
Her interest in hypnotherapy began while she was studying for her degree in psychology with music.
Also a trained classical singer she suffered severe stage fright when performing, and found hypnotherapy helpful in managing her fear.
She became interested in how the mind creates anxiety and how this can be effectively treated.
 
On learning this I felt she was ideal to help me learn how to cope with the nerves and feelings of anxiety I experience when taking a shorthand exam.
Hypnotherapy involves using a trance state to reinforce positive change and personal goal achievement.
Victoria said: “Being in a relaxed state allows us to understand the vital role the mind plays in allowing us to reach our goals.
“It allows people to make positive changes in their lives.
“Having hypnotherapy myself for both stage fright and weight loss, I have experienced first hand the enormous benefits that hypnotherapy, combined with psychotherapy, can give.
After explaining my problem I was asked to lie on the sofa.
In traditional hypnotherapy style Victoria counted down from 10 to 1, while playing relaxing music.
Quite sceptical at first I did not believe it would work, but I soon found myself in a very relaxed state.
Victoria helped me to reach a state of mind where I felt relaxed and happy, using images of sun, trees and water.
On bringing me back into the real world she told me to remember the feelings, and use them to stay calm in an exam situation.

Victoria has seen people ranging in age from 10 to 76, and said she loves being able to help people.
She said: “I love my job, as no two days are ever the same.
“I know that hypnotherapy can really help someone.
“People who see me are amazed at how it can help them.”
I am determined to use the relaxation techniques Victoria taught me in my next exam, and fingers crossed it works.
To find out how hypnotherapy can help you visit
www.peaceofmindchp.co.uk, call Victoria on 07860 475220 or email victoria.proctor@peaceofmindchp.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment