Friday 26 November 2010

From reporter to Supreme

This was a makeover I had a while ago, but I thought I would post what I wrote now, as I really enjoyed it!

When I was a child, my favourite plaything was my dressing up box, as it allowed me to transform myself into different characters using a hat, scarf or old shirt.
Now that I am in my 20s, nothing has changed, and I still love fancy dress, much to the despair of my friends who often have to think up ideas for one of my many costume parties.
So imagine my delight when I was given the chance to have a Supreme makeover as part of The Story of The Supremes From the Mary Wilson Collection exhibition.
Wearing an outfit taken from a recent 60s party I headed to the Assembly Rooms for my Motown facelift.


Having seen hairstyles from the decade I knew that I was in for a completely different look from my normal style.
On arrival, I told Artizan owner Phillip Thompson that I wanted to go extreme, with really big hair.
He needed no persuasion, and the ferocious backcombing began.
Sitting in a haze of hairspray, with Baby Love playing in the background, I could almost believe I had been transported back more than 40 years, and was getting ready for my debut on stage.
Half a can of hairspray, and 30 hair grips later my hair was transformed, and I had gained an extra three inches in height.
However, in the style of all television makeover shows I was not allowed to look in a mirror until my make-up had been completed.
Freelance make-up artist Lydia Parker told me she would be using lots of dark eye shadow and eyeliner to make my eyes bigger.
With my transformation from reporter to Supreme complete, I was allowed to look in the mirror and did not recognise myself.
The person staring back at me looked like someone who was ready for a big night out on the town in the 1960s.
Now all I need is singing lessons for those Motown classics...

No comments:

Post a Comment